Skip to main content

Has Madison got the Keys?

I'm not going to sugar coat it, I can't believe how some of these women tennis players are as high as they are in the rankings. Radwanska is one such player. She seems so inconsistent and doesn't seem to have the power game to compete with other big hitters, so how is she there? Well she is crafty if nothing else. She also relies on the woman on the other side of the net hitting repeated unforced errors (which most women do as a pastime). But I feel that Madison Keys is a different animal these days. As well as her power she has added a fair bit of mental toughness to her game. I think she;'s gotten over that 'teenager transition' and is now becoming a women. Win, lose or draw today, I'm going to watching her odds very closely over the next few years, I think she'll be an immediate future top ten.

With all that being said, Radwanska is the favourite here. This match will be won and lost not on Radwanska, I don't think she can dictate this game on grass, but on Madison Keys and in particular her serve. Keys is 3/1 to win the match. I find this borderline incredible. Believe me, Keys can wipe out Radwanska in straights her today. But the occassion is big, and this may affect her. Time will tell. The safer bet for me would be Keys +4.5 games at 1.90 (this was of last night, Bet365, odds may change). Keys has the protection of 6-4, 6-4, and if she wins a set (which I believe she will) then the handicap should land lovely. Another telling stat is that Radwanska lost to Robson in Madrid early in May 6-3 6-1, and whilst Keys doesn't have the same class (but not much in it) as Robson, they are both similar players that can hurt you with a power game.

The 2nd Test between the Lions and Australia kicks off at 11.05, and I'm dying to get on it. But the truth is, is that this match is so finely balanced that I can't call it. Australia should have won the 1st Test but I'm fearful of their kicking. The Lions will know that a win here seals the series, so all the pressure is on the Aussies. These penalty points could be crucial and I'm expecting a +/- 5 pointer either way; it's all on the day and perhaps a lucky bounce of the ball here and there.

I'm also going for a morning clash between the Tigers and the Storm. -3.5 for the Storm seems a little generous. They lost their last game and will be looking to bounce back strongly. 

Madison Keys +4.5 games, 1.90. 
Melbourne Storm -3.5 pts, 1.80.