Skip to main content

Wimbledon, Lions and going forward

WImbledon 2013 was nothing short of spectacular in my eyes. Seeds tumbling at every opportunity it was a perfect time to back the underdog. Lisicki was backed by myself through the final rounds right up until the final where I jumped ship to Bartoli and what a decision that was. And I also avoided a bullet in the Djokoivic-Murray game; I never would have foresaw that result.

One of the disappointments of the tournament was the way in which John Inverdale (he of monkey magic status), belittled the Queen of Wimbledon this year Marion Bartoli, with his derogatory sexist comments. His 'looker' comments should have seen him have the sack; he'll probably get a pay rise.

It is typical of broadcasters in this day and age who still obsess about perfect looks. Pundits were banging on incessantly about the beautiful seeds crashing. Wimbledon was made better because of it. My pre-tournament tip came unstuck at the hands of Na Li. There's no doubt Halep paced the entry to the tournament wrong, playing way too much before it on clay. She'll learn from next year where the likes of Lisicki, Flipkens and Bartoli paced the entry well.

The Lions won in style but it wasn't as easy as it seemed. Oz held the advantage in games 1+2 I believe although the Lions deserved game 3. But that's sport.

One thing I've already noticed is the over-reaction to Halep's glorious run. Bookies are now pricing her at 1.09s which is a joke. So there may be trading opportunities to oppose her going forward, or handicapping the game.